lundi 20 juillet 2015

Save settings from being purged on failed Steam startup

Whenever I need to suddenly restart my computer during Steam starting up, probably because of a sudden freeze caused by a faulty program I was testing out, I keep getting to know that Steam doesn't entirely like it and that there's a high chance of all my settings being gone the next time I successfully boot into desktop and let Steam start up. Being asked for my login credentials even although it's set to automatically log in is usually a reliable indicator that I need to spend another ~15 minutes getting all my settings back to their previous state afterwards, at least until I find a way how to screw up my system right after boot again.

You can freely reproduce this error by manually shutting down the Steam process while the client loads up. If that doesn't work even after a few times, try hard-restarting your computer in the same case - I am sure one of those situations is causing the settings being resetted. It's not even like Steam would be shut down incorrectly and lost all it's temporary data, since the settings are saved on a hard drive. Steam just decides to wipe them all up for whatever reason, if there's some trouble during the startup, even internet problem that is momentarily preventing the user from logging in. It already happened several times to me that even although I didn't interrupt the process anyhow, Steam just brought all my settings to defaults only because it couldn't successfully log in for the first time.

By settings I mean:
  • Launch parameters and update options for individual games
  • Friends notification settings (individual and global)
  • In-Game Steam overlay settings
  • Streaming options
  • Taskbar preferences
  • Voice settings
  • Broadcasting settings
Save settings from being purged on failed Steam startup

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.